Friday, June 30, 2017

4 - Getting started with the real work - Passion Roadmap

So, I said at the beginning that the reason why I got hooked on Passion Planner was the weekly layouts, which is still true. However, I have also fell in love with the "Passion Roadmap", which guides me to create a one-page overview of my short and long-term goals, leading to a more manageable "Passion Plan", breaking down the goal into smaller steps, which then builds into the "Weekly Layouts" giving me a place to incorporate the steps into my daily agenda.


Then, after you make your plan and put it into action, you're prompted to reflect on how you did during the "Reflection Pages" at the end of each month. I'll be honest, I haven't been the greatest at completing these, but we all have to have something to work toward, right?


Again, why? Why should you put the time into this when you're already so busy? It's kind of like going on a road trip. How do you know when to turn? How do you know how long it's going to take you? Which exit do you get off? I'm assuming you use a map or your GPS to get places that you haven't been before - otherwise you would just be roaming around hoping that you'd get there some day. You might get there eventually, but you'll be so tired and exhausted by then that you won't get to enjoy your destination. Similar to life - if you don't have a destination in mind and a plan in place, how are you going to know what to do day-by-day in order to get there? That's what goal setting and planning does for you - gives you a clear destination with a roadmap and directions to help you get there. Plus, it may seem like a lot of time upfront, but trust me, it saves a lot of time in the long run, making you more efficient and less stressed in your day-to-day life.

WHY does writing work?
Life is a juggling act - usually we are juggling so many things at one time that even the most skilled clown couldn't handle all those balls in their juggling routine. Our minds get cluttered with all of the things that we need to do, places to go, birthdays to remember, and the list goes on and on. When we are able to write these things down all in one place, it clears our mind of all of the clutter and allows us to be able to focus on one thing at a time. Then, all you have to do is open your planner to know what's on the burner for that day - taking away the anxiety of forgetting to do this or not having the time to do that. It's all right there - an easy to follow plan made by you!

Let's get started!

Grab a drink and about an hour to yourself. Get yourself into a relaxed, uninterrupted state of mind, and flip to the second page with "A Fresh Start" chart. (If that drink is wine, I get it - so is mine) Start writing to get your thoughts flowing - remember, there are no right or wrong answers. Just write!

Now onto the "Passion Roadmap" at the front of your planner! There are step-by-step tips to help you along the way. The first one that I did, I was really intimated - I wanted it to look perfect, I didn't want to write down something that was wrong. It actually took me about 3 minutes - once I started thinking specifically, it was pretty painless. And, guess what - you're the only one that's going to see it, so just go for it! Use a pencil if you need ;-)



Also, it may be helpful to split your roadmap into two, for personal and work goals. Whatever seems right for you is the right way to go! Happy mapping!

No comments:

Post a Comment